25 March 2015

Chappan Kaddu


Chappan Kaddu from my kitchen garden

You must be wondering  why a write-up on a vegetable which is hardly relished by people. It so happened that I had posted the above picture on my FB coverline and was surprised to know that many of my friends did not recognise the vegetable. I think the vegetable, once so commonly seen in the vegetable market, has vanished from the dining table and people's mind as well. I hope this happens to `lauki' too one day!

Chappan Kaddu (Summer Squash) also known as vegetable marrow, Botanical name Cucurbita pepo is the common vegetable in India.

The fruit is rounded to spindle in shape and pale green from outside. The flesh is white with no cavity and the seeds are embedded in the flesh.

 The short stalk of the fruit is hard and deeply furrowed with 5 or 8 ridges and is only slightly swollen where it joins the fruit.

It belongs to the zucchini and other gourds family and has a very bland flavour and can be made stuffed to add taste.

The fruit is used immature and is a boiled vegetable.

It is largely available in North India especially in Punjab during the summer months and the one shown here, grew in my kitchen garden when I was in Patiala.

It has great ant-acidic and nutritional value but still not a favourite among the family members due to its bland taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment